Umbria Jazz Clinics
As we begin our 26th year at Umbria Jazz Festival, Berklee and Umbria Jazz Clinics are planning some new improvements to the seminar in 2011. With ever-growing enrollment and limited time, faculty, and facilities in Perugia, we're implementing these changes to reshape the event and attract the most deserving students and provide them with a two-week program that best helps them to advance their musical skills and knowledge. Here are the changes that students can expect for the 2011 seminar:
- A new online application process to enable us to enroll the students with the best potential to achieve in this immersive program of musical study. To apply you must create a user name and password and complete the online application, providing URLs for video or audio that demonstrate your performance and/or writing skills for review by the selection committee.
- A smaller overall enrollment of 210 total students that will allow a better opportunity for all students to have a higher level of participation in the seminar’s courses.
- A songwriting workshop within the seminar to allow students the opportunity to study the craft of songwriting. Students will write and perform their original songs at end-of-the-seminar concerts.
(Limited to 25 students.)
- A new program that will allow all students to have an ensemble that meets every day in order to provide a expanded performance opportunity on the seminar-ending concert in which all ensembles will participate.
- An opportunity to perform on-stage at Umbria Jazz. Five of the seminar ensembles will be selected to be a part of the festival’s concert offerings.
- An improved program of visiting artists drawn from the array of international performers at Umbria Jazz.
- An expanded program in which more scholarship funds will be available for students interested in continuing their studies at Berklee College of Music.
To begin the application process for Berklee's 2011 Umbria Jazz Clinics, go to apply.berklee.edu.