Yoko Miwa, Assistant Professor
|Photo by Lauran Marie Brown|
"I strive to help develop the technique of my students, so they have the ability to play what they are hearing in their head, while at the same time helping to develop their vocabulary, hearing, and awareness. I try to encourage my students to be more than prepared, so they can be focused on communicating and interacting with the other musicians they are playing with. If you have to use all your concentration to be able to make all the chord changes, or play a specific rhythm, or play a unison line, then you're going to miss out on all of that communication and interaction that is essential for group playing."
"I attended Berklee as a student, and I remember the valuable information and experiences I took away from my education here. I've also been blessed to play with some amazing musicians, so I bring those experiences into my teaching, too. You can learn all the notes and have unrivaled technique on your instrument and still miss the mark without being able to relate it to a real-life musical experience. I always make it a point to spend a certain amount of time playing together or even composing with my students, sharing with them the lifelong process of developing what appeals to them and editing what's unnecessary."
"There is so much diversity in the Piano Department. It's such an inspiring environment to be around all the students and teachers. No matter what style of music you're into, the one thing that unifies all of us is our love for music. You are here because music is your life!"
- Diploma, Osaka College of Music
- Diploma, Berklee College of Music
- Leader of Yoko Miwa Trio
- Performances with Slide Hampton, Arturo Sandoval, George Garzone, Sheila Jordan, Esperanza Spalding, Jon Faddis, Jerry Bergonzi, Terri Lynne Carrington, Joe Hunt, Kevin Mahogany, John Lockwood, Johnathan Blake, and Mike Turk.
- Recordings include In the Mist of Time, Fadeless Flower, Canopy of Stars, The Day We Said Good Bye, and Live at Scullers Jazz Club
- Featured on the BOSE Corporation Video Series Musically Speaking
- Featured performer in the Mary Lou Williams Jazz Festival at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC
- Featured performer at Jazz at Lincoln Center's 2011 Coca-Cola Generations Jazz Festival recorded for Marian McPartland's NPR show Piano Jazz